Friday, January 9, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap

Well, I made another batch of laundry soap last night. It's been a while since I've done that and I was so thankful to be back on the wagon again. I'd had problems finding washing soda, so I finally broke down and ordered it in bulk online at a fairly cheap price. I now have enough to last me for years!

Here is the recipe:

Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar (3 oz) bar Fels Naptha laundry soap
1/2 cup washing soda (Arm & Hammer)
1/2 cup borax (20 Mule Team)

First, grate laundry soap. In a large 2 qt saucepan over low heat add soap to 2 cups of hot water, heat and stir until dissolved. Add other ingredients and stir.

Add 1 quart of hot water to mixture.

In a 2 gallon household bucket, pour the mixture into it slowly filling up to 2 gallons with cold water. Stir.

Let stand for 24 hours before using. The mixture will probably be very gel-like in consistency when set. Stir to try to break it up.

Use 1 cup per load. This is a low sudsing detergent. (which is good for your washer)

** I used ZOTE at a substitute for Fels Naptha this time. It is also a laundry bar soap. You can usually find these in a grocery store laundry section. Wal-Mart here doesn't carry any laundry bar soap. I have known others to use regular bar soap such as Ivory as a substitute for it. (think Ivory soap flakes like they used to carry)

No comments:

Post a Comment